Original Headquarters Building
D. Eisenhower lays the Cornerstone
In preparing for this ceremony, a careful selection of
documents and other materials for sealing within the cornerstone of the
new Central Intelligence Agency Building has been made. At some future
date, when opened, the box will provide items of historic interest concerning
the Central Intelligence Agency, and appropriate items in connection with
today's ceremony at which the President of the United States honors us
by laying the cornerstone.
Contents of the cornerstone box include:
- Memorandum for President Franklin D. Roosevelt from Major General
William J. Donovan, Director of the Office of Strategic Services, dated
18 November 1944, regarding the establishment of a permanent centralized
intelligence service; and Memorandum from President Roosevelt to General
Donovan, dated 5 April 1945, directing that General Donovan discuss
his plan with the appropriate officials of the Government.
- President Harry S. Truman's Executive Letter of 22 January 1946, establishing
the National Intelligence Authority and the Central Intelligence Group.
- Statement of General (then Lieutenant General) Hoyt S. Vandenberg,
Director of Central Intelligence, before the Senate Committee on Armed
Services, on 29 April 1947, in support of the sections of the proposed
National Security Act of 1947 to establish the Central Intelligence
- Text and Explanation of Statutes and Executive Orders
relating specifically to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), including
Enabling and Appropriations Acts for the construction of the new CIA
- Reproduction of the CIA seal and its official description.
- "William J. Donovan and the National Security," a speech by Allen
W. Dulles, Director of Central Intelligence, to the Erie County Bar
Association, Buffalo, New York, 4 May 1959.
- An aerial photograph of the area of the CIA Building site.
- Drawings of the CIA Building as it will appear when completed.
- The Program, a recording, and photographs of the Cornerstone Ceremony.
- Microfilm copies of daily and weekly newspapers of 3 November 1959.
Above: Text detailing the contents
of the box enclosed in the CIA Original Headquarters Building cornerstone.
Excerpted from the Cornerstone Ceremony program, 3 November 1959.