California's most vulnerable people - its children, poor, elderly and disabled - can all too often be victimized by:
Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud & Elder Abuse
- Medical doctors ordering unnecessary lab tests, and allowing untrained, uncertified assistants to provide medical treatment to patients
- Dentists performing unnecessary teeth extractions on both adults and children
- Medical supply companies billing for equipment and products that were neither ordered nor delivered
- Nursing homes allowing their patients to suffer from bedsores, malnutrition and dehydration
- Nurse assistants physically abusing elderly and dependent adult patients who are entrusted to their care
While most health care providers in the state's Medi-Cal program are committed to giving the finest and most appropriate treatment to their patients, some unfortunately place profit and greed above patient care and the law.
To protect our most vulnerable citizens and help safeguard the state's Medi-Cal program, the Attorney General's Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse works aggressively to investigate and prosecute those who would rob taxpayers of millions of dollars each year and divert scarce health care resources from the needy. The Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse also works aggressively to protect patients in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities from abuse or neglect. These dedicated efforts have earned special national recognition for the Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Abuse.